Re: [dev] Ada not Rust

From: Greg Minshall <minshall_AT_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 11:15:37 +0300

Anders Damsgaard,

> However, I would *never* consider Julia a viable alternative to C/FORTRAN
> tasks, including numerical simulations and massively parallel deployment
> on HPC systems.

i'm ignorant, but curious. a friend who does high performance computing
is a fan of Julia, and in the past pointed me at

https://www.nextplatform.com/2017/11/28/julia-language-delivers-petascale-hpc-performance/

i'm not a believer in miracles, but the performance here seems fairly
impressive. does this contradict your pessimistic assessment of Julia
(without saying which view is correct)? is it maybe because of
specialized features of Julia (i can imagine Julia's support for SIMD
operations could help a lot with this sort of computing)? or...?

obviously, incompatibility between versions, slow garbage collection,
etc., which you mention below, are not good signs.

cheers, Greg