Re: [dev] tabbed: Use PWD xprop to set workdir for spawned clients. Any clear cons?

From: Nikita Zlobin <nick87720z_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 22:46:00 +0500

В Fri, 2 Jul 2021 17:53:27 +0200
Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org> пишет:

> [...]
> > I use tabbed for multitab terminal emulator. But I lacked one
> > feature, presenting in at least some vte-based terminals: when new
> > tab is opened, it inherits workdir from previous active tab.
> >
> > I tried to find, it same could be implemented with tabbed. I found
> > following solution, which would work independently of what exact
> > underlying terminal is used to be spawned. When spawning new tab,
> > tabbed checks for certain X property, where workdir is written
> > (obviously, by client itself). If found, then it uses this path as
> > workdir for new client. This seems simplest possible way for me.
> > Since shells (including dash, let alone bash) set PWD env var,
> > containing current workdir, I decided to use this name for new X
> > prop too.
> >
> > And to adapt unprepared terminals - appended snippet to ~/.bashrc:
> >
> > workdir_to_xprop() {
> > [ -v WINDOWID ] && \
> > xprop -id "${WINDOWID}" -f PWD 8s -set "PWD" "${PWD}"
> > }
> >
> > cd() {
> > builtin cd "$_AT_" || return
> > [ "$OLDPWD" = "$PWD" ] || {
> > workdir_to_xprop
> > }
> > }
> >
> > workdir_to_xprop
> >
> > (can't be sure, how correct it is, but usually it works, as even
> > path change from midnight commander is counted in this way too).
> >
> > I tried to submit it to hackers ML for simple reason: this list is
> > described to be for patches, directed to upstream. As for my patches
> > (there were more patches, mostly with fixes) - I targeted them for
> > upstream, so sending them there was logical. Too bad - sending
> > patches in the way it's required was first ever time, so I wasted
> > couple of attempts, while finally sent them in most correct way
> > (not sure if I can do it again). Looks like, whoever checks this
> > got tired from all of this.
> >
> > I hoped, in case if any deficiencies, get resonable arguments why.
> > But I got no replies besides two:
> > - one is argumentless -1 against this very feature: some claimed
> > they don't use it, despite I have at least 1 example where it
> > presents;
> > - second is simply that if has to go to dev
> > (well, finally I got reason to subscribe here, but not for this
> > yet).
> >
> > https://lists.suckless.org/hackers/2006/17451.html
> >
> > Main question is in topic.
> > I don't ask about pros, which are just obvious for me :)
> > There could be more of them, but for now I'm too lost to even
> > formulate something more specific. Did not expect such attitude,
> > looks like as if you have to deserve to even be replied. Or could
> > be that hackers only react if you proposal affects what's in their
> > current coding focus (yet another wild guess).
> >

> Hi,
>
> What "attitude"? Theres no need to be negative in the assumptions or
> be passive-aggressive. In any case it won't help.
Sorry - reading ahead, I understand the situation. Doing wrong
assumption is useless, that's why I decided to ask. Great they are
not confirmed.

> As one of the few suckless devs that is still active I still do this
> as a hobby. Interacting with such negative people is low on my
> priority todo list and makes it less fun.
Confirming, I was negative while evaluating situation too hasty. I wish
I could change it :) .

> Reading back the thread I see no issue. I even reviewed the patch and
> gave feedback.
Thanks anyway. I already considered to send it to different list.
Btw, thanks for reason to reread that mail now - before that I thought
it should go to 'dev' :/ .

> In the meantime a new (partial, "temporary") maintainer has been
> assigned to tabbed (me), because the old maintainer did not have time
> anymore.
Did not know, there's 1 maintainer per each project.