Re: [dev] suckless indicators?

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 22:27:33 +0200

On 21/07/08 12:49, Nikita Zlobin wrote:
> I tried to make mere windows more useful by making them to output more
> useful content in place of window name. One existing example is gentoo
> emerge, which prints status in number of emerged packages with system
> load.

But... why? There is already slstatus, which does an excellent job. One can make
a shell script which fetches information from wttr.in (for example), add the
call to that script to crontab, and have slstatus pick up that information. Even
dwmblocks adds unnecessary functionality - why would a status indicator need to
support mouse clicks at all? Its job is to display a minimum of information, not
lead to windows with more information.

You have to understand that for a program to be considered suckless, it needs to
be straight to the point and minimal. Extra functionality is added through
patches.