Re: [dev] Some direction with my project

From: Hadrien Lacour <hadrien.lacour_AT_posteo.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:34:51 +0000

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 09:42:51PM -0500, Chibby Bromanson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am very impressed with the suckless software movement and I am doing
> my best to try to create my own tool that follows the philosophy. I
> still have a lot to learn with the C language but so far I am proud of
> the results. I would be greatful if someone would review my tool and
> consider it for inclusion in the list of tools that ROCK! :D
>
> The tool is for maintaining a list of descriptive tags on an extended
> file attribute. It plugs in nicely with fzf and other command line
> tools.
>
> http://github.com/bromanbro/taggins
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> Dorian

Any reason for using space as internal delimitor when it could be anything
that's unlikely to be used in a tag (e.g. ASCII US)?

Although I had the same idea a long time ago, I decided that using some
kind of database [1] solves both the problem of xattr portability and
performance (no need to crawl the filesystem to get your tags).

[1] Would have to be anything with a daemon to avoid reading/writing the
db constantly and using a tree structure for performance reasons.
Said daemon could also do stuff like Windows -> POSIX and/or character encoding
path translation if more portability is wanted.

Regards,
Hadrien Lacour