Re: [dev] [st] UTF-8 not working

From: Robert Winkler <robert.winkler_AT_bioprocess.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:46:46 -0500

On Wed Apr 20, 2022 at 8:39 AM CDT, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> On 22/04/19 07:09, Robert Winkler wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, but I don't get it fixed. I rebuilt the locals with dpkg-reconfigure locales, with the US UTF-8 as default.
> >
> > On lxterminal, the characters é, ö etc. work. In st they don't.
>
> With
>
> export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>
> properly configured fonts in fontconfig[1][2][3] and properly configured
> config.h, Unicode characters, and even emoji, work in st. See the documentation
> for fontconfig for information on how to properly configure fonts in X.Org.
>
> st works here perfectly with Unicode characters and color emoji.
>

> [1]: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/fontconfig/
> [2]: https://freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
> [3]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Font_configuration

Cheers, Страхиња Радић!

I had to remove color emojis due to crashes of my email client aerc in
st, as advised in this mailing list.

But you give me confidence that st can do all modern fonts; I just need
to learn more about using fontconfig.

As a scientist/writer, I usually install all LaTeX and fonts that I can
find and hope things go well ;-).

Best, Robert