Re: [dev][st][dwm] st UTF-8 works on Gnome, but not on DWM

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:15:37 +0200

On 22/04/26 08:20, Robert Winkler wrote:
> Anyone has an idea, what could be the difference between Gnome and DWM
> with respect to the font encoding?

I'm using dwm in X.Org using no display manager (autostart X at login [1]) in
Artix Linux and everything works correctly. Setting environment variables
correctly greatly depends on your startup "stack", ie. if you are using display
manager such as lightdm, sddm... or just logging in through getty (like myself)
and autostarting X at login, and also on your login shell. You should study the
documentation of every piece of that "stack" thoroughly to determine how
exactly to set up your system.

Like I mentioned in my previous message, input also depends on how you set it
up in X. I'm configuring XKB[2] through the use of setxkbmap(1) by dwm on
startup (I use "cool autostart"[3] patch for dwm to do that, though I could
have also chosen to do it in $HOME/.xinitrc - again, I don't use a DM).

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
[2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/X_keyboard_extension
[3]: https://dwm.suckless.org/patches/cool_autostart/