Re: [dev][st] Solution: UTF-8 needs IBus!

From: Robert Winkler <robert.winkler_AT_bioprocess.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:38:51 -0500

On Tue Apr 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM CDT, Κράκ Άουτ wrote:
> Στις 26 Απρ 2022 23:59, ο/η Robert Winkler έγραψε:
> > To make a long story short: The input of UTF-8 characters with st needs
> > an IBus daemon (standard on Gnome, but not on other window managers such
> > as Plasma, dwm, ..).
> >
> > I added to ~/.config/autostart:
> >
> > `Ibus-Daemon.desktop`
> >
> > ~~~
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Name=IBus Daemon
> > Type=Application
> > Exec=ibus-daemon -drx
> > Terminal=false
> > ~~~
> >
> > Thanks for all your ideas!
> >

> Well, UTF-8 or st definitely do not need IBus, I haven't it installed on
> my system and everything works fine. Yet if it provides a solution, go
> for it.
>
> Just in case they may help you avoid IBus, my Debian system (systemd
> multi-user.targer, no Display Manager, X started by startx) related etc
> files:
>
> cat /etc/default/locale
> LANG="el_GR.UTF-8"
>
> cat /etc/default/keyboard
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="us,gr"
> XKBVARIANT=","
> XKBOPTIONS="grp:caps_toggle,numpad:mac,grp_led:caps"

Well, I don't understand the details; I found this solution by testing
all possibilities mentioned on the mailing list or found in duckduckgo
searches. The key for me was the different behavior in Gnome.

I verified the IBus solution on an armbian64 SBC (who really benefits
from suckless programs):

1) Installation and configuration of ibus.
2) Autostart of ibus-daemon.
3) Installation of im-config and defining ibus as default.

Maybe it is useful for someone.

Best regards,
Robert