Re: [dev][st] Solution: UTF-8 needs IBus!

From: Robert Winkler <robert.winkler_AT_bioprocess.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:20:48 -0500

Quoting Страхиња Радић (2022-04-28 01:43:26)
> On 22/04/26 03:59, Robert Winkler wrote:
> > To make a long story short: The input of UTF-8 characters with st needs
> > an IBus daemon
>
> No, it doesn't.

Well, I had the same problem on 3 computers running dwm/st. On a 4th,
the UTF-8 input (é,ñ,ü,€,ß) worked out of the box, as well on
another computer using st on GNOME. The later fact lead me to the
conclusion, that GNOME is doing something different with the input.
Indeed, GNOME by default is using ibus.

For all of them - 'debianish' x64 and arm64 OSs:
Pop OS!, Debian 11 Bullseye, armbian and dietpi -
the direct input worked after installing ibus and im-config,
and defining ibus as the default input.

I programmed the keyboards, which pass the linux-codes, with QMK.

Since I have little knowledge about the internals of st, I will not
argue. Maybe im-config does the job?

However, ibus/im-config solved my problem and maybe for others as well.
Maybe ibus only is relevant for custom built QMK keyboards, but fair
enough ;-).

Best regards,
Robert