Re: [dev][surf] Compatibility: "empty" wep pages

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:12:20 +0200

On 22/04/29 09:48, Robert Winkler wrote:
> Hi, surf is up to now the best browser I found for weak machines such as the
> Raspberry Pi 0W, with respect to compatibility and customisability (link
> hints, full keyboard control).
>
> The support of Javascript pages is fair.
>
> However, some Web Pages do not work at all.
>
> Example: <https://peerj.com/>
> just produces a white page.

This is how that page (containing Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager)
looks in surf here:

https://i.imgur.com/lgKot4U.png

While Web itself sucks[1], and surf is a compromise between a suckless shell
and an engine that sucks (Webkit) for a medium that sucks (HTML+CSS+JS), I find
that it is unfortunately not satisfactory yet from a privacy-respecting
standpoint, at least until it supports plugins such as uMatrix which block Ads
and various other privacy-intruding technologies. Simple filtering of URLs
just isn't enough.

Until such a moment, I'm using ungoogled-chromium[2] for everyday use.

[1]: https://suckless.org/sucks/web/
[2]: https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium