[dev] json2tsv 1.0 release - a tool to convert JSON to TSV

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 13:07:10 +0200

Hi all,

I would like to share the 1.0 release of my project json2tsv.

json2tsv is a tool to convert JSON to TSV.

json2tsv reads JSON data from stdin. It outputs each JSON type to a TAB-
Separated Value format per line by default. A different field and record
separator can be set (than a TAB and newline).

The default output format is:
        nodename<TAB>type<TAB>value<LF>

The type field is a single byte and can be:

* a for array
* b for bool
* n for number
* o for object
* s for string
* ? for null

There is a shellscript wrapper included called "jaq" that uses awk as a sort of
"query language". This can be used in a similar way like jq(1), except you
don't have to learn some new jq-specific meta-language.

An example:

        echo '{"url":"https://codemadness.org/"}' | \
                jaq '$1 == ".url" { print $3 }'

A more detailed write-up is on my blog and phlog:
Blog: https://codemadness.org/json2tsv.html
Phlog: gopher://codemadness.org/1/phlog/json2tsv

It can be found at:
  * git://git.codemadness.org/json2tsv
  * gopher://codemadness.org/1/git/json2tsv
  * https://codemadness.org/releases/json2tsv/
  * gopher://codemadness.org/1/releases/json2tsv/

The tool has few dependencies and includes its own JSON parser in json.{c,h}.
Extensively tested and tested with a testsuite.

I would like to thank all people who gave feedback and have sent patches
and I hope this project is useful to others as well,

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo