Re: [dev] Some questions on communication suckless style

From: Rodrigo Martins <rm_AT_firemail.cc>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 21:43:30 +0000

It was thus said that the Great Laslo Hunhold once stated:
> Dimitris Papastamos, z3bra and I had worked on ratox[0] (with useful
> scripts here[1]), a suckless Tox-client, back in 2014. After the second
> toxcore-API-iteration within a few months we were fed up with it,
> though, and the project was put on hold.
>
> It was inspired by ii (FIFO-based-model), and we had some pretty cool
> state-machine-magic going on there. Ratox, among other things, even
> supported voice and video calls via FIFO, which was really cool!
>
> If you're looking for a project, bringing this back up to speed with
> mainline-toxcore might be a nice thing. :)
>
> With best regards
>
> Laslo
>
> [0]:http://git.2f30.org/ratox/log.html
> [1]:http://git.2f30.org/ratox-nuggets/log.html

Dear Laslo,

I have read the ratox code and compiled it with the latest commit of c-toxcore. Other than a few missing features it works fine, even if it uses some deprecated API.

I've used ii before and I must say I'm pleased with how flexible this design is, even if it's a bit spartan. I could maintain ratox if needed be.

Rodrigo.