Re: [dev] [st] compilation warnings/errors

From: NRK <nrk_AT_disroot.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:14:56 +0600

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 09:46:00AM +0600, Enan Ajmain wrote:
> But if you're asking why the Makefile of st doesn't use these flags by
> default then I think the makefile is supposed to be used by the end user
> and the user should not be required to deal with warnings. Unless they
> want to, in which case they can include the flags themselves.

Adding to this, warning can change from compiler to compiler, from
version to version and even the same compiler and same version can emit
different warnings depening on other flags (e.g a lot of warnings in gcc
aren't active unless certain optimization flags are active as well).

This makes `-Werror` not a good idea for build process that's supposed
to be run by the users; packagers often have to patch flags like this
out for example [0].

Also, wiki patches are community maintained. If you find a problem with
a specific patch, then just push the fix directly:
https://suckless.org/wiki/

[0]: https://flameeyes.blog/2009/02/25/future-proof-your-code-dont-use-werror/

- NRK