[dev] piscou?

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 12:40:21 +0200

While browsing through the commits to /sites, I noticed a program
piscou[1]. Just looking at its Makefile, it seems to include dubious
code such as:

  clang: CC=clang
  clang: CFLAGS += -Weverything -Wno-unsafe-buffer-usage
  clang: clean release

and

  piscou: $(src) $(headers) Makefile
          -ctags --kinds-C=+l *.h *.c
          -vtags.sed tags > .tags.vim
          $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $_AT_ $(src) $(ldlibs)

and doesn't even compile (tested on Artix Linux and OpenBSD). On
OpenBSD, I get:

  $ make
  make: don't know how to make CFLAGS (prerequisite of: release)
  Stop in /home/strajder/src/piscou

About the program itself, I think that something like nopen[2] from the
file manager noice[3] with its 103 LoC better represents the suckless
principles than piscou.

About the license, piscou uses the GNU Affero license, whose purpose
is[4]:

> The purpose of the GNU Affero GPL is to prevent a problem that
> affects developers of free programs that are often used on servers.
[...]
> But suppose the program is mainly useful on servers. When D modifies
> the program, he might very likely run it on his own server and never
> release copies. Then you would never get a copy of the source code of
> his version, so you would never have the chance to include his changes
> in your version. You may not like that outcome.
>
> Using the GNU Affero GPL avoids that outcome. If D runs his version on
> a server that everyone can use, you too can use it.

in other words, it is intended for server software. piscou is supposed
to be an interactive program, possibly running a GUI previewer?

P.S: From the synopsis, the percent-signs

  piscou %piscou-filename% [%piscou-extra0% %piscou-extra1% ...]

don't seem to be literal, so the syntax is confusing. Looks like it is
taken from Microsoft's COMMAND.COM variable substitution?

I suggest removal.

[1]: https://git.suckless.org/sites/commit/a540477f182ef370a7e2aa6ef850889b6b92bbfa.html
[2]: https://git.codemadness.org/noice/file/nopen.c.html
[3]: https://git.codemadness.org/noice/log.html