Re: [dwm] configuration

From: Juan Fuentes <juan.j.fuentes_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:07:43 -0400

On 8/1/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:

> While being offline on Crete, I thought about configuration
> of dwm at the beach (and in the salt water of the Aegaeis)...
>
> I pretty much disliked in dwm-0.5 to have to edit several
> different files to customize the beast for my needs, that's why
> I decided to use CPP and a config.h file in the future (already
> in hg tip), even if it might be ugly.
>
> The config.h file defines several macros, esp. TAGS, DEFTAG,
> CMDS, KEYS, and RULES. Those contain the static struct definitions
> defined in the .c files before.

I'm new to the list, and new to the window manager, and let me tell you it's
the best I've used in all my years
in Unix. That being said I have one question why are you not using the
struct definitions directly instead of the
macros? I have an idea why you did it, but like to know your reason :).

To add some convenience for user-defined setups, one can supply
> the CONFIG variable to make(1) to override the default config.h
> file. I also added my personal config.h file which is called
> config.arg.h.
>
> To compile dwm with my configuration I simply do:
>
> make CONFIG=config.arg.h clean install
>
> I see no better compromise to provide more convenience for
> user-defined setups than using CPP (instead of doing weird awk
> scripts ;))

Agreed :).

Thanks,

Juan Fuentes