Re: [dwm] Closing windows without closing the whole program

From: Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 13:34:04 -0400

Inkscape - 0.44
Firefox - 1.5.0.4

To repeat (on the off chance that we're doing different things... sometimes
being "verbose" is good): Open inkscape, open dialog (document properties,
for example), give the dialog focus. $MODKEY-Shift-c closes all of
inkscape. The following printed to the term: "The application 'inkscape'
lost its connection to the display :0.0; most likely the X server was shut
down or you killed/destroyed
the application."

Same with Firefox: Open firefox, open second window from the first (ctrl-n),
$MODKEY-Shift-c prints either "The application 'Gecko' lost its connection
to the display :0.0; most likely the X server was shut down or you
killed/destroyed
the application. firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (1)" or "Gecko:
Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :0.0. firefox-bin
exited with non-zero status (1)" (I've seen both).

With myself, it's not a huge issue. I can workaround the inkscape problem
(just using fnord as scratch space) and I've always used ctrl-w with
firefox. CTRL-W does close some of the inkscape windows... but with the
most annoying one (image properties from an imported bitmap), it passes the
ctrl-w to the main application... closing the whole app (admittedly doing so
cleanly). Likely an inkscape bug, but don't know if it might be similar
with others. I'll try it in wmii-3 later this evening (don't want to exit
my session just yet, while a long compile is running)