Re: [dwm] Max Mode Per Tag

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:31:43 +0200

On 8/7/06, Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 15:21 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> what you like ;) I like it the way it is.
>
> It seems incongruous to me that you like to apply max to only a single
> client for only as long as it is focused, but then at the same time you like
> to apply float to the entire wm until you next toggle the float key. Can you
> elaborate on why this works for you?
> Thanks -RPM

I personally like it the way it is too, and don't believe this is
incongruous. Floating vs. tiled is a matter of paradigms: manual vs.
automatic windowmanagement. Generally, these two don't mix and match
(in fact, If it weren't for these classic-approach-only apps like the
GIMP, it would probably be a good idea to get rid of the per-client
'isfloat' as well: using for instance three tiled and three floating
clients in one tag shows quite clearly how well these two paradigms
mix; unfortunately, as long as there are paradigm-specific apps, we'll
need the per-client 'isfloat').
Maximizing a client on the other hand has nothing to do with either of
these paradigms; it's just useful for temporarily giving a client more
space, if it's the only one requiring attention at this moment anyway
(the same could be achieved through tagging of course, though MODKEY-m
is quite a bit more convenient). As such, from my pov, maximizing is
_applicable_ to both paradigms, rather than an alternative to either
or both of them.

Greets, Sander.