Re: [dwm] zooming a client by name

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:00:50 +0100 (BST)

--- Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/06, David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> However, the
> underlying
> > issue (however it's coded) is that I have too many
> > windows (over 128 when working on one project) to
> be
>
> o_O whoa... I really hope (for you :-P) that that's
> an overstatement...

Going off-topic: when I say open I don't necessarily
mean that I'm actively working with them all at once,
just that an application has got them all loaded up.

The point is that I dislike having multiple layers of
"window management". So, conventionally for instance
you could use emacs or kdevelop, which manage multiple
files within one X-Window by creating their own
"subwindow manger" (that "split-buffer" thing in
emacs, or the sidebar file-list + tabs in kdevelop).
So if you use those you don't have anywhere like as
many XWindows as files you've got loaded. Likewise,
you can get tabs with mozilla, terminal emulators with
tabs, etc.

What annoys me is that not only have I got to think
about what application owns a window in order to find
it but each "subwindow manager" has its own shortcuts,
conventions, etc and they're often sub-optimal. In
contrast I feel there ought to be "just" windows and
the basic window manager should be efficient enough to
let you find everything you need. I'll leave it there,
noting that every so often I expounded this view on
the wmii lists, so if you're a glutton for punishment
you can search for longer posts there :-S

Anyway, it's a big project but...

$ ls *.cc *.hh makefile | wc
    132 132 2657

cheers, dave tweed