Re: [dwm] Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:52:19 -0400

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 18:39 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:20:07PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:16:57PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > > If you really want to try selecting more than one tag to merge
> > > the existing clients, I'd propose you to do that only in the
> > > tag bar, just define ShiftMask as 'additional tag', highlight
> > > that tag as well and all windows can be combined of the shifted
> > > tags, a normal press on a tag will only show that single tag.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that would be worth to be implemented.
> > > (I can remember some situations when I wanted to see more
> > > clients...)
> >
> > Instead of shiftmask you could define Button3 clicks for
> > merging... just an idea, dunno.
> >
> > What do others think?
>
> Hah, it was so easy to implement (-23+54==31 more lines of
> code), that I already pushed it. Things might be done cleaner,
> but I'll decide later if that is a good idea... I leave now
> into the weekend, bb on monday!

Awesome, I'll try it over the weekend!

I think one reason why some folks are having trouble shifting their
perspective from workspace-based to tag-based is because of this missing
feature. Being able to temporarily dump my "net" pile of stuff and my
"biz" pile of stuff on my desk at the same time is exactly what it's all
about. Then later I take my "biz" stuff off and put my "art" pile of
stuff on. Then later still I take my "net" stuff off and focus on my
"art". Etc.

I only have one desktop (view) and I change what's piled onto it.
Sometimes I need to have more than one pile (tag) on my desk at the same
time. Sometimes I just need one additional item on my desk and that's
when I use appendtag().

Thanks! -Ross