[dwm] Re: ImageMagick & display(1)

From: dtm <usrucb_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:55:53 -0700

    ARG> This is because wmii-4 takes the window name into account,
    ARG> but dwm takes only class/instance info into account since
    ARG> window names are kind of arbitrary.

Ah, makes sense.

Just curious, how much code would be necessary to also take window
name into account (in dwm)? It's been over 15 years since I did any X
programming, and even then it was mostly at the toolkit level.

Sometimes I find it useful to have a row-oriented mode (ROM). But I
don't want it applied to all tag views. What I do now is select an
empty tag, open a couple terminal windows in float mode, and place one
above the other, the width of the screen. As long as I don't switch
back to that tag, while in tile mode, everything is fine. :)

But, if I modified dwm to also account for window name, I could create
a rule that would make those wide windows unaffected by tile/float
mode changes.

What do you think?

-- dtm