Re: [dwm] placement of tags on titles

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:26:31 +0200

On 8/25/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> I thought a while about colorization issues and found, that the
> inverting of an existing color set has the advantage, that the
> inverted color fits well (which is often not the case for yet
> another color tuple).
>
> However, I consider the following idea:
>
> 1 text color
> + 1 border color
> + 1 bg color for selected objects (client borders, client titles, tags)
> + 1 bg color for unselected objects (client borders, client titles, tags)
> + 1 bg color for status info
>
> = 5 colors
>
> At the dmenu side:
>
> 1 text color
> + 1 border color (only used for highlighted item)
> + 1 bg color for normal use
> + 1 bg color for highlighted item
>
> = 4 colors
>
> This idea depends on two constraints:
> 1. The border color is used to provide a 1px border between
> labels, the space between labels should be only 1px (and not 2
> for adjacent labels).
> 2. The text color is the same everywhere, selection state is
> indicated through a different background color.
> 3. The color invertation on mode change is removed, one usually
> notices the floating mode by the gaps of increment handling.
>
> What do others think about this idea?

One bordercolor is a good idea, as yesterday's tip clearly showed that
mixing different bordercolors doesn't work. I'm starting to like the
idea of different background colors too. Having just one textcolor
keeps thing simple, but it does put quite a restriction on possible
colorschemes (i.e. if you have a dark textcolor, all bgcolors must be
light if you want to keep thing readable). So I'm not sure what to
think about that yet (though the fact that it keeps things simple does
appeal to me, and it seems to work for Acme...).

Removing the color invertation seems ok, as indeed it should usually
be obvious what mode you're in. Then again, reviving the ~/# indicator
that dwm once had (pre-0.1 I believe) wouldn't hurt either (I actually
liked that, it's less prone to wrong interpretation than inverted
colors. Besides that, it could also be used to allow mousebased mode
toggling).

Greetings, Sander.