[dwm] Master window width in pixels, not percent?

From: Ville Koskinen <vrkosk_AT_utu.fi>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:52:42 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

I recently began using dwm, and I must say it is what I've needed for a
long time. It does have one irksome feature (or lack of): you can only set
the master window width to be some percent of the screen width.

Before dwm, all my terminal windows were 80 characters wide. I'd like it
if it was possible to set a fixed and hard limit in pixels or characters
(although the latter only applies to terminals) for the master window.

Yes, I could also calculate the wanted width in percent by hand from the
given resolution, but I would need to do this to all resolutions (I
sometimes need resolutions other than 1280x960), which is tedious and
sounds more like a job of a computer program, :) and I would need to have
differently configured executables for different resolutions. A hard limit
of, say, 800 pixels would be 800 pixels in 800x600, 800 pixels in
1024x768, etc.

Now, I have no experience in X programming, but I don't see why it would
be impossible to have a feature like this. I would be satisfied with the
following configurable parameters:

#define MASTERW 550
#define MASTERW_UNIT PIXELS

and, as defaults,