Re: [dwm] question about java/swing and dwm

From: Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:38:41 +0200

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:31:31PM +0200, Anthony Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 12:15:00PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I forgot to mention that I noted this in both tiled and floating
> > > mode. To be a little more specific, the plot is drawn in a JPanel
> > > contained inside a JFrame. Resizing the latter has not effect on the
> > > size of the plot. So the JPanel (to which the ComponentListener is
> > > added) seems not to be notified of the resize event.
> >
> > Does the behavior occurs in wmii and dwm hg tip as well?
> > (Actually did you tried a different JDK, e.g. a 1.4.x JDK? I
> > heared that there are issues in newer JDKs concerning the X11
> > backend of Swing).
> >

> I don't have wmii available now but it also occurs with the latest
> version of dwm from the code repository (I assume this is what you mean
> by "dwm hg tip"). The code depends on JDK1.5 but I can try and
> experiment with a different JDK with a simple piece of test-code.
>
> I'll get back to you if I find anything interesting.
>
> cheers,
> Anthony

Hi again,

I have just installed wmii and there the Java programme does work as I
expect it to. I've attached two short pieces of Java code which can be
used to reproduce the problem I have. The TestFrames programme simply
makes a JFrame with a JComponent inside appear. The component adapter is
supposed to report resize events by printing a message to stdout. In DWM
I only see a message after startup. No reaction to resizing the window
is apparent subsequently.

In wmii the same simple programme does produce the expected messages
when
you play around with the window. I installed the latest version of wmii
(the wmii-20060705 tarball).

I hope this provides further clues.

regards,
Anthony