Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Seth Graham <sether_AT_tru7h.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:37:05 -0500

Sander van Dijk wrote:

> So preserving z-ordering "per tag" (and all tag combinations, since
> you can view multiple tags at once) is a nono. However, preserving
> z-ordering globally should be possible (and I believe that would lead
> to the behavior you want too by the way), and might be a good idea.

I'm 100% not sure this is related to the discussion, but it seems to be
sort of the same problem:

z-ordering within a single tag doesn't even work consistently. I use dwm
exclusively in float mode, and use mod1+mouse1 to raise windows to the
top of the stack, in addition to mod1+tab.

This invites all sorts of random behavior, whether one tag or more is
being displayed.

Open three xterms in a single tag, overlay them in a cascade and bring
each one to the top of the stack to witness it. It only gets worse when
more clients are open, and multiple tags are being viewed.

In most window managers I have used, bringing a client to the top
effects only that client. Bring a second client to the top, and the same
thing happens. With dwm, bringing a client forward can send the old top
level client all the way to the back, somewhere in the middle, or
directly beneath the new top level client. It may bring other clients to
the top, ones nowhere near where the action is taking place.

To be fair, repeat the same action with the same two windows and they
will reorder in the same way each time, but the system itself makes very
little sense.