Re: [dwm] dwm-1.5 | dmenu-0.9

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:27:48 -0400

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 08:49 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm glad to announce new releases of dwm and dmenu.
> Both contain several bugfixes and updated man pages.
>
> http://www.shortest.de/download/dwm-1.5.tar.gz
> http://www.shortest.de/download/dmenu-0.9.tar.gz
Nice!

> dwm-1.5 is more predictable regarding global client order, it
> keeps it untouched (esp. in floating mode and for floating
> clients). The only exception occures if the focused client
> is floating it will be raised in the specific set of selected
> tags (though the z order information won't be lost).
> dwm-1.5 also includes a global focus stack which remembers the
> focus order for all clients. This is only used to restore the
> focus on changing the set of tags currently viewed and if a
> client is detached from the view.
Did you mean to change the default FLOATSYMBOL and TILESYMBOL to the 3
char versions rather that the old 1 char versions? I personally use 2
char versions, but I just wanted to make sure that was an intentional
default change.

> dmenu-0.9 now grabs all keypresses, even if you type
> while dmenu still reads items from stdin. The new strategy
> uses a select() call which waits for data written to stdin
> config.h:STDIN_TIMEOUT seconds. If no data is written during
> this timeout (eg if there has been an accidently call of dmenu
> from your interactive shell) it will exit silently.
> Otherwise dmenu would grab the keyboard already before the user
> could supply any input (or pressing C-d) as item list.
> You might have noticed in wmiimenu and earlier versions of dmenu
> that if you have a script running in the background not
> finishing its job very fast, some keypresses are lost by dmenu.
> This is not the case anymore due this fix.
When I have an xterm focused and I press Shift-Return on a dmenu entry,
shouldn't the command name be output to the xterm? I never tried this
before, but it doesn't seem to work. Unless, of course, that's not how
it's supposed to work.

-RPM