Re: [dwm] DWM still too much?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:18:28 +0200

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 05:14:34PM -0700, b La wrote:
> DWM is a great minimalistic manager, but there are still too many unecessary
> features.
>
> I know, different strokes for different folks, but I personally don't like
> the tagging method of managing my
> windows. Tagging could lead to a more efficient environment, but since our
> minds usually track things by location it could be more simple if the
> feature is removed. With tagging removed, the status bar would no longer be
> necessary leading to more screen space. Displaying the window titles are
> not necessary because there's no point in a title if you see the whole
> window already, right?
>
> So I'm here to seek some help to efficiently modify dwm to be more
> simplistic. I used to use version 2 of wmii to create a scheme where there
> were:
>
> - Hotkey to remove selected window from the current view (Minimize)
> - Another hotkey to add back the removed windows to current view in LIFO
> order (Restore)
> - No status bar or window titles to be processed
>
> I'm wondering if this is possible to recreate easily using the existing dwm?

It would be possible. But keep in mind, that tagging is a
simplification of the workspace paradigm already, because there
is no workspace and you view only the clients which match the
selected tags. This seems simplier to me. Thus, there is no
detach/attach necessary at all.

If you don't need the statusbar, or client titles, they can be
easily removed.

Regards,