Re: [dwm] Fwd: Re: maximization handling

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:03:31 +0200

On 9/22/06, David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> | > What if you want three modes ?
> |
> | Implement a function domything(), and add a keybinding that does:
> | arrange = domything;
>
> I _think_ it's a bit more complicated than that, in that I recall seeing
> some tests in the code where (arrange!=dotile) is taken to
> => float mode (or the other way around). I guess the question is
> whether, if rather than more than two modes, you really want
> floating or [tiled, with selectable subvarieties of layout rule but common
> movement like `nextclient']?

Maybe (probably?) not everywhere, but I believe definitally in most
places, arrange!=dotile is used to make sure than dwm doesn't do stuff
that applies only to tiled mode (such is mastertile zooming);
arrange==dofloat on the other hand is used for stuff that applies only
in floating mode (such is sizehint handling).

There may be some exceptions to this, but unless I'm very mistaken,
the way I described is the general case in dwm (so adding another mode
shouldn't be too much of a hassle).

Gr. Sander.