Re: [dwm] dwm stealing input

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:03:12 +0200

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 06:24:13PM +0930, Stephen Caraher wrote:
> After I start dwm or wmii, I have a problem where the window manager appears not
> to pass input on to clients. For example, I can start urxvt with my modkey+enter
> bind, or any other program with modkey+p which launches dmenu, which gets my
> input fine. I can then switch focus between these programs and close them, but
> none of them ever recieve any of my input. Urxvt's cursor flashes whenever I
> press a key, but nothing appears in its window. Xterm acts as if I'm not
> pressing anything, as does firefox.
>
> This problem only affects dwm/wmii, not other WM's. It's happened on and off
> over the past few months, it used to happen sometimes after I first started
> using wmii. Today it's come back after I accidentally trashed my .Xmodmap and
> .Xdefaults.
>
> Thanks in advance for any solutions or suggestions about how to further proceed
> here.

Hmm, that is odd. I suspect there might be a problem with your
MODKEY-mapping, maybe that is trashed. Check if you can use
different modifier keys as well e.g. instead of Mod1-Return press WinKey-Return...

If that launches a terminal as well there is something broken.

Despite of that, check if toggling NumLock or ScrollLock has any
different effects.

After all, dwm/wmii should have no effect on all keys which
aren't passively grabbed in combination with a modifier key
(MODKEY). Check if you can type w for example.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe  ><><  http://suckless.org/~arg/  ><><  GPG key: 0D73F361