[dwm] Fwd: Auto-discard notification

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:21:43 +0100

Same with you ;)

----- Forwarded message from dwm-bounces_AT_suckless.org -----

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:15:54 +0100
From: dwm-bounces_AT_suckless.org
To: dwm-owner_AT_suckless.org
Subject: Auto-discard notification

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:21:24 +0100
From: julian_AT_mad.mw
To: dynamic window manager <dwm_AT_suckless.org>
Subject: Re: [dwm] Removing the titlebar?

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:35:41 +0100, "Sander van Dijk" <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/06, ricardo.lanziano_AT_gmail.com <ricardo.lanziano_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> * paul liljenberg <phootar_AT_gmail.com> [2006-11-09 18:27:57 +0100]:
>>
>> > I wouldnt miss it at all, the main window that i work with is only
>> > important. I never look at the other titlebars and they are useless to
> me.
>> > Why not saving those lines to something more useful?
>> >
>> Because there are people who use it, that could be considered as useful
>> too.
>
> Exactly. Right now, people seem to use them for two reasons:
>
> 1. to determine the content of similar looking windows (with > 10
> xterms open they *are* going to come in handy).
> 2. to determine where the focus is (the 1 pix border isn't going to be
> very useful at any sane resolution).
>
> To be honest, as long as there are no decent alternatives for these, I
> believe removing the titlebars ought to be out of the question.

Personally I don't use it.

To identify the windows (xterms are the only confusing) I use different background colors and fancy colorful prompts plus tag (or desktop) organization (per server and/or logged user and/or per project)

Sometimes I find hard (with high resolution) to know where is the focus, but I don't think the titlebar is useful for this (actually I don't use it because most of the times the title is 'xterm' because of my own xterm-organization pointed above)

Don't know any graphic solution for the focus problem. I'd rather prefer a shortcut key to force focusing the main window and the start moving around.

Just my 2 cents.

saludos,

--
Julián