[dwm] Fwd: Re: dwm + java

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:52:05 +0100

----- Forwarded message from "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> -----

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:49:04 +0100
From: "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org>
To: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: dwm + java

Hi Sander,

actually you tell me the last non-fixed annoyance in dwm ;)
I'm not sure if it's really a dwm fault, but if other WMs work
well with those apps it seems to be. Actually the only parts of
dwm which might be responsible for it are:

client.c:manage()
client.c:resize()
event.c:configurerquest()

My intuiotion tells me, that it is related to configurerquest or
resize, because I doubt the code used in manage has any impact
on it...

So what's the difference to those WMs which are known to work
fine (like wmii for instance) - to me it is, that clients are
not reparented with a frame window (afaik even evilwm creates
frame windows, and also larswm). However conforming to ICCCM
assuming a frame window is not valid for X applications. And
this could be checked easily with running those Java apps
without a WM - do they work in such a situation? If not, we can
conclude it's not dwm's fault.

When I recently investigated into this issue due to googling
around for 'MToolkit' - I found various bug reports in several
apps, not dwm-related but somehow Java-oddity related, so I'm
not sure if those Java morns only test their stuff with Gnome or
KDE, or if they also test their stuff without a WM at all...

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361
----- End forwarded message -----