Re: [dwm] dwm and Sun's XToolkit

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:19:19 +0100

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:12:41PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> First of all, XWM works properly in determining if a WM is
> present through attempting to select for SubstructureNotify
> events on the root window. But in the getInsets() method it
> assumes, that if a window manager is present, it wether does
> single reparenting or double reparenting, - if the WM does *NO*
> reparenting like dwm (to reduce resource consumption of X), it
> obviously wether runs into an exception which is catched
> internally or simply does not returns 'correctWM' (might be it
> returns an Insets of the size of the window in such a case,
> which means, the whole window is decorated...

One remark I forget to mention. If no WM runs, XWM don't tries
to getInsets, because that won't make any sense obviously...

So also the question is clear now, why don't manage() windows
(only mapping them) doesn't works, because of such insets. It's
also clear why wmii, evilwm and larswm work fine: because those
do reparenting...

It is up to the dwm userbase now, to make pressure to Sun to fix
this bug (it might also be related to compiz, because that also
don't reparents anything, it composes only afaik). For me, I
don't care, because I have given up using Java after all.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361