Re: [dwm] d{wm,menu} and utf8

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:46:37 +0100

On 12/15/06, Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de> wrote:
> Sander, does the attached patch fix your problems with the character
> display under dmenu? It changes the same thing that helped me to
> display Japanese characters in the dwm status bar.

No, I already tried that, but it didn't change anything.

> Using my default locale settings[1] I need the attached patch to
> make dmenu print these three selections properly:
>
> mitch_AT_yggdrasil:/tmp$ cat foo
> こんばんわäöü FOO
> こんいちわäöü FOO
> おはようäöü FOO
>
> But if I am using slightly a different locale[2] (I need it for Japanese
> character input, but I use it only temporarily) then I don't need the
> patch and dmenu displays these selections correctly when using the
> Xmb*() functions.

Hm, these all display just fine for me with LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 and
font '*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*', both with and without your
patch. Funny enough though, when I tried this with the wrong font (the
one urxvt said it took the Œ character from), the ü was replaced by
exactly that character :-S. Turns out terminus has that character as
well, and I can easily make dmenu display it with a simple
    echo -e '\214' | dmenu -font '*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
So I guess all this is due to urxvt using different fonts for
different characters and me not really having a clue how that affects
things. So it seems that there's no problem in dmenu here, although
I'm not completely sure yet exactly what's going on. When (if?) I find
out I'll let you know...

Greetings, Sander.