Re: [dwm] Again client titles and nmaster indicator

From: Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:37:35 +0100

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 07:33:42PM +0000, David Tweed wrote:
> Anyway, the nice thing about title windows is that they provide
> the SAME "visual interface" for various applications. For example,
> my xterms are configured with only a $ as the visible prompt and
> put the current directory into the window title; otherwise I'd have to
> find the line with the cursor on to find out what the current directory is.
> With vim, if the current file isn't put in the title I've got to find it
> on the line at the bottom of the screen. With an document viewer
> (eg, evince, etc) I've got to open the file menu. Etc.
>
> The point I'm trying to make here is that there's a different thing
> to do to find out the window title for each application, rather than
> one global action for all the applications. That's why window
> managers (& to an extent toolkits) exist right? So each application
> doesn't define it's own way of performing common acitons like
> moving windows, etc.
>
> Anway, I wouldn't object to titles being configured out by default
> but I don't see much actual practical gain (as opposed to LOC bragging)
> in removing the code.

I agree that window title bars remain very useful, even if they are
annoying sometimes for small windows. I do like the added visual clue
for focus with a different border colour. I see now that the status area
has the same colour as the unselected tags. In previous versions my
colours for the status area were the reverse from those for unselected
tags, making the status area stand out more. Maybe you could consider
such a "reverse video" scheme for the status area? (I admit this depends
on the colour scheme one uses)

cheers,
Anthony