Re: [dwm] bar position

From: Julian Romero <dwm_AT_mad.mw>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:07:50 +0100

On 2/7/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> What do you think? Do you know of any papers (eg comparing the
> Apple top bar vs Windows bottom bar)? Are there any rational
> reasons why the bar belongs to the top or bottom?
>
> (Actually for terminal users a bottom bar seems better, because
> the prompt is more often near to the bottom than to the top)...

+1 for top bar
my reasons:
- is healthier (for the neck) to look the upper half of the screen
(specially in laptops, it seems a joke except if you suffer neck-ache)
- when using 2 or more master windows the attention tends to be on the
top-left quarter of the screen
- in the rare occasion I click on the bar I like the fact is near the app
menus (less lineal pixels to travel with the mouse)

I don't know the actual code but can't it be solved with arithmetic instead
of conditionals? Define a TOP_BAR constant as 0 or 1 and use in position
calculations as multiplier, 1-TOP_BAR multiplier, etc. The code will be
harder and more complex that having just a single position bar but it'll
make happy the bottom-bar defenders

regards,

--
Julián