Re: [dwm] bundle section in wiki

From: John S. Yates, Jr. <john_AT_yates-sheets.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:29:09 -0500

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:31:32 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>we all know that dwm code base is frozen since several months ago ;)
>
>But the reality is that every other week I am patching the vanilla sources
>with a non-fixed combination of patches (bstack, grid, warp...etc.)
>When we apply more than one patch is very easy to find a rejection that
>should be fixed manually. The more the patches applied, the more the
>rejections, the more complex get to fix it.

Been there. Done that. Know the phenomenon quite well.

>Then, what about sharing bundles (mercurial bundles) with applied and
>working patches? Everyone can then get the bundle and run the corresponding
>unbundle against a clean copy of dwm. With a lot of time saving.

I do indeed integrate multiple patches. I have developed a set of
scripts to provide some structure to the process. Nothing as fancy
as Andrew Morton's quilt scripts, but enough to save me from making
too many cockpit errors.

>Anyone has an opinion? arg, it's the wiki the place for these files?

For starter I would like to see a page with a more structured set of
links to available patches and the dwm releases supported. Ideally
this would not be a set of links to individual contributor's web
spaces but a repository at suckless.org. Similarly I would like to
see a collected repository of interesting config files.

>As a side efect people will find less resistance trying feature cocktails
>and then reporting their feedback to the list.

What I understand you to be suggesting is if I integrate patches
X, Y, and Z that I would post a bundle providing the results of my
integration efforts. Is this correct? If it existed I would be
both a client and a contributor.

/john