Re: Re: update: Re: [dwm] recent changes to dwm (since dwm-3.5)

From: Alexandru E. Ungur <alexandru_AT_globalterrasoft.ro>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:59:34 +0200

>>> sender: "Anselm R. Garbe" date: "Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:44:14AM +0100" <<<EOQ

> > > Do what you like, but don't forget that those files must be
> > > included in Makefile somehow and the function signatures must be
> > > local in layout.c as well... so I consider this as don't do it
> > > that way ;)
> > Ok then, thanks for the advice :)
>
> There is also another reason - the wmii-2 way only supported the
> arrange-function being integrated that way. But in dwm we have
> things like incnmaster() or resizemaster() which manipulate the
> tile()-layout. Hence it would get very messy to handle such
> add-on functions with such a way like we had in wmii-2 - so it
> is much easier and simplier for patch contributors to put
> everything into 1 single superfeature.patch file.
Ah, I see what you mean. Sorry I didn't explain too well what I meant.
The suggestion was actually for the patch creators to change the way
they create patchs (they have to change it anyway at this point :D) so
that it is easier for the endusers to integrate multiple patches. I
did not suggest modifying dwm in any way.

What I did for my patch (well, before I asked) was create that extra
layout_grid.c and then patching Makefile (adding one 'word') and dwm.h
(adding one line). All these are done from the patch, no need for
any changes on dwm side.

Now, because the changes to dwm were so small, I can easily integrate
other patches now ;-) and I figured if other contributors would do the
same (where applicable of course) then it would be easier for all of
us to integrate multiple patches.

I'll release the patch right away, and then it will be clear what I'm
talking about :-)

Cheers,
Alex