Re: [dwm] 9ubuntu?

From: Doug Bell <dougb_AT_bellz.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:22:47 -0400

Christian Garbs wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 02:39:47PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
>
> > I don't want to get into flamewars, but my main intention is
> > that I want a usable live system.
>
> Can a useable live system work with dwm?
>
> dwm is configured at source level, which would mean you have to boot
> up the live system and then configure and compile your window manager
> before you start.
>
> Or you would have to configure dwm your way and create a
> "personalized" live system image after that.

IMHO, neither of those solutions are very desirable.

When dwm was first written, I argued (unsuccessfully) that it should
include a simple config file parser. Today, I use dwm all the time and
like it very much, but I still think a config parser would be a
worthwhile addition.

I don't change my configuration very often, so the extra compile step is
not a big deal to me. But it would be nice to be able to get dwm as a
regular package from my distribution, and it would be especially nice to
be able to run it from a standard live CD.

Yes, it would somewhat increase the number of stupid questions. But,
with increased poularity would come more leverage to get non-compliant
apps fixed. Isn't that a reasonable trade?

Doug.