Re: [dwm] dwm without statusbar

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:15:17 +0200

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 02:59:36PM +0200, lobzang wrote:
> just a simple question , is it possible to have dwm without any status
> bar ? (just a blank screen in fact)

It is possible if you hack the code, though it is dependent from
your intention, there are two motivations for this:

a) You want make dwm simplier, so you might want remove the code
responsible for drawing/creating/resizing the status bar
completely.

b) You only don't like the status bar on the screen, so you
might want add a togglebar() function which shows/hides the
status bar and performs a rearrange() accordingly - actually I
even consider this an interesting option for mainstream dwm,
because this way, one could define an

enum { BarTop, BarBot, BarOff };

and implement a togglebar() function which toggles between those
modes. #define BARPOS BarOff in config.h could be then use to
hide the bar by default.

Is b) of your taste? I consider this useful, to have the
possibility to hide or move the bar somewhere else on demand.

What do others thing about my proposal?

void
togglebar(const char *arg)
{
        barpos = ++barpos % 3;
        way = sy;
        wah = sh;
        switch(barpos) {
        case BarTop:
                way += bh;
                XMoveWindow(dpy, barwin, sx, sy);
        case BarBot:
                wah -= bh;
                XMoveWindow(dpy, barwin, sx, sy + sh - bh);
                break;
        case BarOff:
                XMoveWindow(dpy, barwin, sx, sy - bh);
                break;
        }
        lt->arrange();
}

Note, not tested, but something like that is in my mind.

Regards,