Re: [dwm] problem with dmenu3.1

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:56:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:35:47PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
| Actually this is the case in Plan 9, and they do it right in my
| opinion. The main problem with this design in Unix is, that
| fork() is a rather expensive call with performance issues.

One problem with not designing test into the shell language
in a carefully designed way but rather growing out of program calling is that
you've got to do ridiculous things like

if [ X$oldt = X$newt ]; then

to properly handle the case of empty strings variables. (That's why
once I reach the level of testing conditionals in a script
I see if I can migrate to a different scripting language.)

|> But this is getting OT now...

Indeed.

cheers, dave tweed