Re: [dwm] status

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:52:53 +0200

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:45:28 -0400
"Bill Puschmann" <puschy_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/12/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
>
> > Like the same in unix. The interface should simply be the same.
> > Maybe we need a native program to list all executables on win32.
> >

> Isn't everything in windows inherently executable? And then there's the
> whole "$PATH"-type problem.

Mmh :) yes, you're right everything in w32 is executable, so typing 'start <filename>'
will open the file with the specified loader (executable, document, image, ...)

I would prefer to fix this by using a simple sed like:

> start `printf "st\nfirefox\nida\n" | dmenu | sed -e s,st,c:\st\st.exe, -e s,firefox,c:\program\ files\mozilla...`

so, an automatic way for doing this will be desirable something like strip the extension and path
and later put't again for executing it.

Keeping cmd as the shell sux. i have read some good comments about the vista's 'powershell'
but it sux because it is proprietary, so the nice way will be using ruby, perl or bash.

> Though perhaps something that read/merged all the "Start Menu" entries.
> List all the files recursively in two directories (the "all users" start
> menu dir and the local user's start menu directory). All of those are meant
> to be applications - so you wouldn't have to test filetypes (unless someone
> stuck a jpg or similar into them, which would then launch based on
> associated app).

is not very difficult to parse LNK files with perl, and a recursive dir on the
user's 'start menu' is quite simple to do. This can be done with an external
program. I would prefer perl for this task.

> At first I thought the DWM for W32 was a waste of time. But I'm switching
> jobs shortly, and I doubt I'll have a *nix flavor to use on my desktop.
> This would make life so much easier!

I use w32 on my job too, and i'll love it. Nowadays i'm configuring the KVM to boot
windows from linux and would be really cool to have a w32 with dwm tagged inside
a linux dwm.

  --pancake