Re: [dwm] persistent tags and static Layout definition

From: Jeroen Schot <schot-dwm_AT_a-eskwadraat.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:44:29 +0200

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:50:37AM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Diego Biurrun <diego_AT_biurrun.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 07:58:52AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > >
> > > I also added a new window property called __DWM_TAGS
> >
> > Identifiers starting with two underscores are reserved for the system,
> > you should use something else.
>
> What identifier(s)?

About that X atom, I was wondering about the two underscores myself, but
for a different reason. The ICCCM states (in 1.2.3):

  The built-in atoms are composed of uppercase ASCII characters with the
  logical words separated by an underscore character (_), for example,
  WM_ICON_NAME. The protocol specification recommends that atoms used
  for private vendor-specific reasons should begin with an underscore.
  To prevent conflicts among organizations, additional prefixes should
  be chosen (for example, _DEC_WM_DECORATION_GEOMETRY).

So why isn't a single underscore enough? Or _SUCKLESS_(D)WM_TAGS :)?
And, just for fun, the next paragraph:

  The names were chosen in this fashion to make it easy to use them in a
  natural way within LISP. Keyword constructors allow the programmer to
  specify the atoms as LISP atoms. If the atoms were not all uppercase,
  special quoting conventions would have to be used.

Regards,

--
Jeroen Schot
schot_AT_a-eskwadraat.nl (mail & jabber)