Re: [dwm] new floating windows

From: y i y u s <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:03:10 +0200

There are other two posible solutions: you can allow togglefloat when
in floating mode (just removing one check), or the new windows can be
floating by default.
I don't see the inconsistence you tell, it does work like tags: If you
have rules, they are applied, else the current tag are applied (in the
same way that floating is applied if you set it in rules or else the
current mode is applied). Anyway, for me it is ok if togglefloating is
allowed in floating mode, and it could be more consistent as you tell.
I just want a solution.

> > hey arg,
> > would it be too much to add the line:
> > c->isfloating = isfloating();
> > before applyrules(c); in the manage function in client.c?
> > now, there is no way to not resize a new window when you toggle to
> > tile layout if you haven't defined it in rules. this way i can toggle
> > to float mode, open a new window and come back to tiled mode and my
> > new window remains float and it is not resized. I think this way it is
> > more predictable.
>
> I beg to differ. This would make all windows opened in tiled mode
> floating when switching to floating mode, but all windows opened in
> floating mode would stay floating when switching back to tiled. Quite
> inconsistent. That's not how global mode switching is supposed to
> work: it should apply to all windows that do not have an individual
> override set.
> It may be a good idea to allow (un)setting this individual override
> also in floating mode (it currently only works in non-floating modes),
> because that allows the user to set it for individual windows _before_
> switching back to tiled mode.
> The default however should be exacly the way it is now: new windows
> are managed (= behave they way the global mode dictates) regardless of
> the mode they first appear in, unless the Rules specify otherwise.
>
> Greetings, Sander.

Greetings,

--
- yiyus || JGL .