Re: [dwm] [patch] Stack columns patch for dwm-4.4.1

From: Chris Webb <chris_AT_arachsys.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:46:27 +0100

Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de> writes:

> I wonder whether it would be good to make this a new layout. arg keeps
> suggesting the name "supertile", which I think very well applies to your
> layout.
>
> That might make future maintenance easier.

I did think of doing this, but in the end I decided that it's most
logically treated as a generalisation of the existing tile layout. Since
you get identical behaviour to tile() if you set nrows=0 or ncols=1 with
nmaster=1, I couldn't see an obvious benefit in having a supertile in
addition rather than replacing tile. I could easily be convinced, though.

My current use pattern is just with the supertile layout, but different
values for nmaster and nrows on different master tags using my 'per tag'
changes. Without the 'per tag' behaviour, I guess the ability to flip
quickly between a column stack and a standard stack on the right hand
side (without resetting the nrows/ncols state for when you return) would
be more important.

> It would be very useful to have this on suckless.org.

I'm happy for both of these patches to go on the contrib/patches page.

Would anyone be interested in Xft support for the bar? It looks like it's
pretty straightforward call mapping from core text to (basic) Xft so
should be pretty trivial.

Cheers,

Chris.