Re: [dwm] NMASTER in dwm-4.5 (was a follow up to Tuncer)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:24:36 +0200

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 05:24:23PM +0200, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On 9/22/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Probably not much, but I don't have time to maintain a patch.
> >
> > You don't need to maintain a patch, just put the stuff into
> > nmtile.c (see attached) and include it in config.h with moving
> > some macros around (see attached patch file - which misses
> > incnmaster shortcuts).
>
> thanks, gonna try that out as time permits.
>
> > > Btw, what is the preferred way to use a custom config.h with 4.5?
> >
> > ; cp config.h config.h.O
> > ; vi config.h
> >
> > (Basically it is the same as tweaking config.mk now)
>
> the cool thing about the previous config.h handling was that config.h
> was never touched on hg pull+up but I can live with having to copy
> config.h away before I update from hg tip.

That's true. But my intention is, that nobody needs to
reconfigure dwm. It should just work perfectly for everyone.

Honestly, if there are updates to config.h now, you *will*
notice it, because of a hg conflict warning. In the past you had
to check explicitely. And there were a bunch of people claiming
in the chat that something was broken, because the config.h
scheme changed somehow. This won't happen with the current
scheme anymore, though maintaining private changes must be done
with more care now.

(I'm in the good position, that config.h is my personal
 configuration actually ;)))

Regards,