Re: [dwm] dextra

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:53:44 +0200

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:10:19PM +0200, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > heavily based on lavish's work I put together several config
> > files which should work fine with future releases of dwm/dmenu.
> > The repository is still work in progress, but might be of use
> > for some of you (it contains Xdefaults, dir_colors, mutt colors,
> > vim colors, etc.)
> >
> > Finally I switched to black on white after years of working with
> > light colors on black. And I feel well at work ;)
>
> As you've switched more than one time from/to dark on
> light/light on dark term settings IIRC, I'm curious
> how you came to the conclusion to go dark on light?

I experimented to work in both scenarios for 8 hours on indepent
work days (with similiar work conditions) and concluded it feels
better to my eyes (mainly related to the fact that I frequently
browse to pages with light backgrounds or that I have to use
tools remotely which have a light GUI).

> Actually your remark on the old suckless homepage about
> the relation between white backgrounds and energy waste
> inspired me to go from light bg to dark bg last year :)

Well, I investigated into this issue and the energy saving
aspect is only true for CRTs, not for LCD displays (there the
energy consumption is quite constant, regardless
which background color in use, you can only save energy through
choosing a lower contrast through dimming the backlight).

Regards,