Re: [dwm] dwm-4.5 fails to build

From: Dave Heistand <dheistand_AT_challiance.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:58:05 -0400

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 01:05 +0100, Chris Webb wrote:
> "John A. Grahor" <jag_AT_techma.com> writes:
>
> > I installed Chris Webb's columns patch and it's great!!!
> >
> > I run dwm with a two monitor/side by side setup which looks to X like one
> > big monitor. Without the patch I basically had to set master to 0.5 and
> > then live with a single column on the right. Now I can have multi columns
> > and I can even set master to 0.25. Gives many more options!

I just rebuilt 4.4.1 and applied the dwm-4.4.1-taglayouts.patch as well
as Chris Webb's columns patch. The columns patch is great for my setup.
I use 2 monitors with usually firefox/email or an xterm in master area
and xterms in stacking area.

It may make sense to foot note this statement on the web page and have
it link to Chris's patch:

"dwm has no multihead support. It is not designed to work well with
Xinerama setups: it is designed to work well with high-resolution
notebook setups and wide-screen setups instead - the default window
arrangement algorithm seems mutually exclusive of multihead or Xinerama
setups."

Maybe adding something like this makes sense: "Note: Some users report
this patch <link to columns patch> is very helpful for multihead
setups".

Also, thanks to all who make dwm and patches. This is the first window
manager in years that I've stuck with for more than 3-6 months with Ion
being the last window manager I found somewhat usable. I really like
the size/footprint of dwm, default keys and the fact that settings in
config.h are easy to figure out and change (I'm no C programmer). In a
nutshell:

"You don't have to learn Lua/sh/ruby or some weird configuration file
format (like X resource files), beside C, to customize it for your
needs: you only have to learn C (at least editing header files)."

I find configuring and using dwm to be productive, simple and elegant.