Re: [dwm] On the fly tiling for floating layout

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:21:19 +0200

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:20:35PM +0200, Alpt wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 08:39:39PM +0200, <pancake>:
> ~> This idea is quite similar to the Exposee, which is a nice hack for fixing
>
> What is Exposee?

This is the exposÃe:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_%28Mac_OS_X%29

There'r some other clones..

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_clone

Copiz fusion also have the same stuff, but changing the windows movement algorithm
because of stupid patents from mapple. On this feature the animation is useful,
so your eyes can track the windows to the new position, and don't you make fool
trying to figure where they are.

The people that find this feautre useful are OSX users afaik, I have seen designers
and so use this feature in an intensive way for switching between windows of the
same application or between all the windows instead of using the alt-tab way.

> ~> I think this is an useful feature, but maybe the better layout for toggling
> ~> these floating windows would be a rectangular layout or something like that
> ~> This patch will imply to also add the 'keep-clients-size' patch.
>
> rectangular layout? Something like this
> http://www.freaknet.org/alpt/src/patches/rwm/screenshot-rwm-small.jpg ?

yup , is the only logical use I can find for this layout xD

> Note that the current implementation in awm considers also the focus order of
> the windows: the biggest window is the current focused, the second biggest is
> the second in the focus cycle, etc.

thats a more intelligent way to replace the "animation" functionality. SO it's
more logical. On exposee, you will never know where he places the windows and you
have to follow them with the eyes and watch around to find the right one.