Re: [dwm] The StumpWM Experience

From: Manny Calavera <lone.nomad_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 23:02:29 -0400

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:22:38PM +0300, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> really cool screencast of the updated StumpWM in action
>
> http://www.archive.org/download/TheStumpWMExperience/TheStumpWMExperience.ogg

heh, wow that does seem kind of cool. The only thing that turns me off
is the fact that its probably a good idea for me to learn LISP (which
dialect?).

But thats on my list of things to do anyways. ;p

Unfortunately I'll probably never get around to StumpWM only because dwm
is already everything I need and want. There's a quote from Eric S.
Raymond from his book The Art of Programming which I like and that I'll
share for you (sorry to those who hate him and/or the book). Its on why
he believes Plan9 failed.

"Plan 9 failed simply because it fell short of being a compelling enough
improvement on Unix to displace its ancestor. Compared to Plan 9, Unix
creaks and clanks and has obvious rust spots, but it gets the job done
well enough to hold its position. There is a lesson here for ambitious
system architects: the most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an
existing codebase that is just good enough."

Perhaps StumpWM will be in a similar crisis. Just a thought.