Re: [dwm] ntags initialization

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:45:54 +0200

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 05:35:16PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 10/10/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> > One question to this again. Actually I can't find any official
> > reference why this should work in the C89 standard, call me
> > blind or whatever. In C99 this definately works.
> >
> > Do you have a pointer to confirm that this works with C89 as
> > well?
>
> iirc c89 standard (aka iso c90 or ansi c) is not freely available
>
> so what i usually do to check conformance:
> gcc -ansi -pedantic
>
> it seems that
> int a[] = {1,2,3};
> int b[sizeof(a)/sizeof(int)];
> compiles fine in c89 mode

Well, ok, let's face on C99. I changed things as follows: the
Client struct looks like before. However I kept the static
initialization of ntags, seltags and the newly introduced
prevtags. This means that third-party patches may access any
variable except the latter ones (actually I see no reason why
you want to access seltags, prevtags or ntags from a patch). The
tagging approach is quite central to dwm and needs no additions
in my opinion.

Instead of looping for tags initialization in Client->tags I use
memcpy from now on.

See latest patch for further information and let me know any
bugs if you encounter them. Otherwise dwm-4.6 is on its way.

Regards,