[dwm] dynamic nmaster proposal

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:48:41 +0200

Thinking about the most useful use-cases for the nmaster tiling I got
the conclussion that the only usable configurations are:

   +----+----+ +----+----+
   | | | |----| |
   +----|----+ 2/2 | |----| 3/2
   | | | |----| |
   +----+----+ +----+----+

   +----+----+ +----+----+
   | |____| |____|----|
   +----+ | 2/3 |____|----| 3/4
   | |----| | |----|
   +----+----+ +----+----+

We can get the conclussion that the only sense configuration is to
keep three (as maximum) clients tiled in the master area.

The most used (for me is the 2/3 and 3/4 configuration). The 2/2 one
is as useful as the 3/3 one, but no more than 3. So the 22 and 33
configurations are really close to the grid layout.

It is relatively easy to modify the nmaster.c patch to make it
dinamically change the nmaster value depending on these preferences.

Now I'm at work and can't test anything until the night.

But I think that in this way we can reduce the user interaction
when using the nmaster layout.

Let me know about your ideas and the way you use this patch.

--pancake