Re: [dwm] Fibonacci patch ported to 4.6

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:47:43 +0200

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:36:26PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:08:14PM +0200, Xavier wrote:
> > Some users requested the fibonacci patch, which was only for 4.4.1.
> > Even though I didn't use it, I tried to port it to 4.6, and it seems to work
> > fine. Please review it :)
> >
> > Also, arg said earlier [1] that it should still be possible to keep a header file
> > (fibonacci.h in this case) and include it in config.h, instead of including
> > fibonacci.c directly.
> > I tried to do it, but failed :
> > dwm.c:(.text+0x2ada): undefined reference to `spiral'
> > dwm.c:(.text+0x2ae1): undefined reference to `dwindle'
> >
> > It would be nice if someone could show me how to do this, I'm curious :)
>
> You only need to add SRC = fibonacci.c in config.mk as well.

I discussed offlist with Jukka about all these things. In the
meantime I re-created dwm.h, and things get more complex agein,
just only to get the ability to include simple patches. That's
also why I postponed the 4.6 release.

So listen, even if you all dislike this from a matter of taste,
BUT I will remove dwm.h again, - if you write patches,
include them as separate .c files into config.h, that's the way
things are going. This provides you the simpliest way to patch
dwm without touching anything else than config.h, even if it
looks odd from a C point of view.

There are too many drawbacks in separating everything to dwm.h,
it makes things far more complicated than that it helps.

Sorry for the noise.

Regards,